Since Wiley came into my life I have learned many things…..
- How to be a better handler. Wiley has shown me how effective a well timed reward can be and that the higher value a reward has for him (i.e. food) the better it works.
- That routine is great but it can be fun to mix things up every now and then.
- That trust and respect are earned and are corner stones in in a great working partnership.
- When you are off duty there is a time to play, a time to rest and always time to eat.
- That walks are better if you stop occasionally to soak in the world around you (or in his case sniff the circumference of a tree).
- People respond positively to a wagging tail or smile
- Nothing reduces stress better than cuddling a dog.
- You get where you need to go one step at a time.
- To be independent you occasionally need assistance.
- Enjoy each day and don’t worry too much about yesterday or tomorrow.
- Life is better when you share it with someone (or somedog) you love 🙂
Meanwhile what have we been up to…….
Saturday’s trip to Pet Barn went well, although Wiley was a little distracted having his friend along, not to mention all the wonderful smells and temptations. He still did his job and guided me safely through the store.
Sunday was a busy day, it started off with a seven kilometer run around Lake Ginninderra with the Achille running group.
In the afternoon I co-hosted our developments first social event for residents. The turn out wasn’t fantastic but the people that came were all lovely and we had a great time chatting and getting to know each other. Wiley was a trooper, he happily laid down next to me while i was otherwise occupied meeting and greeting.
Monday was Taxi talk day – I found out that the trainer has decided to stay which is the best news as I really enjoy working with him.
Today Wiley and I enjoyed a nice long bush walk and the rest of the day will be spent with him snoozing and me doing the housework.